If you, like many women, happen to have curly or wavy hair that prefers to “do its own thing,” you are not alone. Even straight hair often flows to the beat of its own drum, making a blowout a fairly universal practice for woman who feel compelled to blow out their hair to achieve a lustrous mane.
Even if you love your curls or waves, there are times that call for a silky smooth look. In those times of need, consider professional blowouts an easy (and extremely relaxing) way to transform your tresses.
Why you should extend the life of your blowout
Whether you love wearing your hair curly or straight—or you feel sentiment somewhere in between—you always want to make the most of your style. As a busy and practical person who wants to save time and energy, finding ways to stretch the beautiful effects of your blowout makes good sense.
It’s also important to keep in mind the toll heat takes on styling your locks. Between the high-powered blow-drying, the round brush styling, and flatiron finish, your hair undergoes some serious heat during each blowout—so spare your hair the stress and strain. Even if you get regular trims, you want to prevent split ends in between appointments.
Make a blowout last longer on your own
Talk to your professional stylist about your goals to extend the life of your blowout after the second day. They’ll help you find the perfect products. It never hurts to buy the same products that the stylist used on your hair, too. You can ask them to walk you through the proper steps and amount of product you should use.
Below are some of the best ways to help make your beautiful blowout last for several days, saving you time, energy, and money:
- Avoid touching your hair. This tip is tricky for everyone. The glorious way your hair feels after a blowout is a huge part of the appeal, but running your fingers through your hair is the fastest way to shorten your blowout’s lifespan. Running your fingers through your silky mane will rapidly cause it to lose volume while triggering your scalp to produce unwanted oil. Resist the urge, and you will appreciate the rewards.
- Use your old-school scrunchy while sleeping. So you might have thought the world—or you, at least—was done with scrunchies, especially after Carrie Bradshaw mocked their existence on Sex and the City. But these soft, gentle, and curly little 90s-era accessories are essential to extending the life of your blowout while you sleep. Pull your hair into a low and loose ponytail and let it hang down your back before brushing your teeth and laying down for bed.
- Invest in a silk or satin pillowcase. You can buy a special silk or satin hair cap, but a pillowcase lets your hair flow naturally as you sleep. Silk and satin pillowcases protect your hair from the matting and crimping caused by friction.
- Set your hair like your mom used to do. You probably used to think you would never use over-sized curlers because, well, that was what your mom did. And no offense to mom, but it wasn’t a look you wanted to emulate. You probably thought technology would replace these old-fashioned ways of styling. But some things our moms did are classics for a reason. Large rollers will help keep your crown full of life so you don’t have to stress about it in the morning.
- Put on a shower cap. While you don’t need, or want, to wash your hair, not showering is not an option. Use a terry cloth-lined shower cap for the best effect during your shower to prevent getting your hair damp.
- Dry any damp areas from showering. You might have gotten a smattering of water under your shower cap. If so, there’s no need to panic. Simply blow dry those sections, then use a round brush on them until dry.
- Touch-up your style with a flatiron and light product. If you notice any sections that have developed crimps, waves, or frizzies, pull out your flatiron and Moroccan Oil to tame them.
- Remove any unpleasant scents. If you detect a whiff of sweat from sleeping, or as a result of your morning workout, use some dry shampoo or a tiny dab of regular or dry conditioner.
- Wear a ponytail or bun towards the end of your blowout’s run. All good things must come to an end, but you can maintain the illusion of your blowout until your next appointment by styling your hair in a ponytail or bun.
Although these tactics apply to a blowout you did at home, nothing is more soothing than a professional shampooing, drying, and styling your hair for you.
Why a professional blowout is the right choice
The best way to prolong this strikingly radiant style is by visiting a blowout specialist who uses the most current and high-quality styling products and cutting-edge tools. Your stylist can perform this impressive task in just about 45 minutes, leaving you with shimmering straight hair that you can enjoy for several days.
At Primp and Blow, you will arrive and enjoy a beverage before sitting in your chair and discussing what gorgeous look you want to achieve, as well as how you can make your professional blowout last for several days to come. Your expert blowout technician will then shampoo and condition your hair for some much needed pampering. After a good wash and a luxurious scalp massage comes your professional blowout. As our stylist gets to work, your job is to sit back, relax, and watch as your hair comes to life.
Once you receive a professional blowout, you can expect it to last for two to three days, as long as you don’t get caught in the rain or experience high humidity. However, most of the time you can extend your blowouts to five or seven days. Certain styling products contain ingredients that help protect against moisture and the problems that accompany flat hair. If you want to extend your blowout’s life even longer, you might need to take extra measures.
Doing your own blowout at home isn’t the same
Anytime you can save yourself the trouble of trying to replicate an additional styling hand, and eyes in the back of your head, the better life is. And no matter how masterful of a blowout artist you become, it is no secret that a professional blowout session always turns out better at the hands of an expertly trained blowout stylist.
Think about it. You usually can’t stop swinging and swaying your silky mane as you walk out of the styling salon, wondering what school of magical arts your blowout stylist actually attended. Is there a Hogwart’s for Hair?
Get a long-lasting blowout at Primp and Blow
With the right stylist, tools, patience, and commitment, you can extend the life of your blowout for huge value, and keep your look for longer.
At Primp and Blow, we offer you friendly, expert blowout artists and all the styling products and tools necessary to give you the blowout you need for your career, a wedding, a prom, or for your own personal pleasure. Our goal is to give you a beautiful blowout that will last for several days, saving you time, energy, and money.